Misophonia Research Discussion

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Misophonia Research Discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

This forum thread is about research into misophonia, sensory processing disorder and misokinesia. If you want to discuss current research findings, upcoming research or research you’d like to take place, this is the place to do it!

You can find misophonia related papers here:

Past and present research
    Essential reading (This is the paper that brings together all the big studies and is essential reading if you haven’t read it already)

#1014483 Reply
    Aram

A particular sound has been bothering me I can control my reaction but it is intense. Water being outed from. A canaster to a cup. Like from a pitcher ; I am not sure what the issue is I believe it’s the idea that this sound of water out a pitcher into a glass should not be happening in the office just a resteraunt. Why is there a pitcher of water next door to my office at work. Don’t Knoe but I thought I’d google it. I have workers through the food eating noises because I am sure I am not a quiet eater as it’s not possible

#1014601 Reply
      Lawrence Shenton

Simple this you can be convinced of anything by yourself or others. This happened to me and I thought is it rational and then it didn’t. If you think somebody is being against you then you will become upset. If you don’t think that you wont become upset.

#1014603 Reply
        Lawrence Shenton

If you can’t convince yourself it’s not upsetting then you need time away from the upsetting thing and time away from the thing reinforcing the thought process that it’s upsetting.

#1014605 Reply
          Lawrence Shenton

If necessary use headphones with something that distracts your attention is the main thing for a while.

#1014925 Reply
            Sarah Banker

The Schiller Laboratory of Affective Neuroscience at Mount Sinai is recruiting participants for a
              research study in NYC investigating cognitive processes in Misophonia. If you are based in NYC
              and interested in participating, please follow this link for more information: https://redcap.mountsinai.org/redcap/surveys/?s=HD7DXYMPXX

#1015139 Reply
              Rhiannon

I stumbled upon this tonight so I’m not sure if I have this but I have a very strong reaction to chimes, grandfather clocks, church bells. I used to take down my families chimes when I would visit and I have left places where I couldn’t control hearing the sound. Oddly enough I get a similar reaction around swings when the chains cling, I have to stop the motion bc the motion also bothers me nearly as bad. I have some sort of faint memory hitting a pole swinging as a kid but it is debilitating sometimes.

#1015312 Reply
                Erin

Long, relieving, venting post about to happen:

I was SO relieved to know that I actually have a real thing happening in my brain when I first learned about misophonia about a year ago. I feel more validated and more hopeful knowing I’m not alone and that I’m not just an anxious overly sensitive jerk, which is how I feel when I’m experiencing a trigger. I am very good at feeling guilt and shame, not good at standing up for myself..working on it.
                  My main trigger, which doesn’t seem to be mentioned as often, is high-pitched nasally voices (think small children, cartoon character voices, etc). Currently REALLY struggling with this because I remarried 2 years ago and my 5-year-old step daughter’s voice is a huge trigger for me. I feel terrible guilt about it, so I kept it to myself (near-constant super high anxiety and emotional outbursts here n there whenever the girls are at our home-we have them half the time) until just this week when I finally told my husband and gave him a link to this website and a few articles…I could tell he was starting to notice my bizarre reactions to his daughter at certain times, and it is hard to dismiss yourself from family time, movies, et,c so often without the family thinking you dont like them much! This is my fault, I never spoke up about the actual sounds that trigger me, I just always blamed my anxiety and depression, which my husband is aware of. Sigh. It has gotten to the point that I have panic attacks at the end of my work day when I know that my stepdaughters will be there ready and excited to interact (I DO love them, very much, and they have very few behavioral issues) when I get home. The younger daughter’s voice makes me want to scream and rage and get away, and she is ALWAYS talking or humming or making noise of some sort. It is very hard to control the panic and rage and guilt I feel when this is happening. One good thing is that it isn’t constant, I am definitely more sensitive to it after a long day or when Im not getting much alone time. Anyway, I also have it with cartoon characters, yell-talking, which most kid shows characters do–EVERY CHARACTER usually annoys me, also high female voices, and loud talkers. These things enrage and upset me so much…..

Anyone else?

PS I also dont love chewing or clicking sounds, but they dont push me to rage and panic like human voices do.

#1015564 Reply
                  Andrej

I have really bad misophonia often mixed with misokinesia, BUT i think iam pretty good in mimicking/imitating others behaviour in a way people find funny. I work at small forensic lab+office and i often do these small scenes when iam playing characters from our institution (boss, workers) and my coworkers find it really funny and their are like: wow, hilarious i barely notice this guy is doing this but yes he does it every time.
                    So this positive thing about this, but iam suffering a lot every day and its getting worse as i get older (26 right now).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  Reply To: Misophonia Research Discussion
                  Your information: