What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Zed

Crisps being chewed, Chewing gum, Wet mouth sounds, General eating noises, Whistling through teeth, Heavy breathing close to me, Tapping, typing, high heels on hard floors, gulping, rustling of paper/plastic bags etc and all other irregular sounds that can’t be anticipated or don’t have a pattern. Oh, and my Dog licking her nose.AAAAggghhhhhhh!!

#4462 Reply
      Jenn

…and all this time I thought so many people just didn’t like me. Seriously. Now, come to find out, there are others just as misoed as I am, maybe more? My biggest trigger, by far, is whistling. My rage is instant, endless, and inescapable. There are a few other minor ones, such as whiny voices, ‘hyena’ laughing, clearing phlegm, but just now I want/need to go to misokinesia and other peoples’ dyskinesia. People fiddling with there hair, stroking beards, pulling at ear lobes, rubbing feet together, fiddling over and over with a napkin or any object for that matter. The worst part is yet to come since I hear this only gets worse with age.

#4553 Reply
        Chris

Like so many others the eating of crisps, or anything a bit crunchy is one. Eating with their mouths open (While eating Crisps) will drive me into a magma like level of anger. wet sloppy mouth sounds.
          Someone mentioned when someone speaks they get a fluttering sound in their ear. I get the same sometimes when My wife is talking, and a few other people, but mostly my wife. its like I have just been swimming and I still have water in the ears, like a roaring noise.

I have to make sure I am eating when others are, or all I can hear is their eating.

#4982 Reply
          Richard

My main triggers are loud TV’s or Radios. Whether its my neighbours from downstairs or next door, music from people over the road or further away, radio/music from cars driving past etc….

Occasionally its people rustling, crunching or chewing too loudly. The cinema is a no go area for me.

Snoring is another, to the point where I go and sleep in the spare room.

These are my main triggers. I do have very good and maybe too sensitive hearing but a lot of it is avoidable if people were more considerate too. Mostly, seeing as I cannot control a lot of the external noises that drive me mad, I’d love to learn some effective ways of dealing or coping with it. I’ve asked neighbours to turn things down but after a few days it goes back to normal again and I don’t want to keep going round.

My coping strategies are: turning my own TV up, putting the air conditioning or heating on as the white noise type sound of them both helps block other noises out. In summer I can put fans on. Do some clothes washing so the machine blocks stuff out. Or I just try to go out for a bit and hope the noises have stopped when I come home. At night I use a combo of earplugs and a white noise app on my phone.

I’ve got angry before and have confronted the downstairs neighbour once. Not aggressively though, just cordially.

I’d love to be able to cope with things like neighbour noise, crunching, chewing and snoring without having to use things on myself like earplugs, make my own noise to block others etc…

I just want to go to sleep naturally or sit and watch my TV without feeling anxious waiting for my neighbours to watch theirs too loud.

#5222 Reply
            Brigette

Unlike everyone, mouth noises do not bother me, what does, is repetitive noise and sights. Clicking, tapping, beeping, spinning, flashing, anything like that. I have had to leave meetings at work because someone clicks their pen constantly. If you ever watch netflicks, clicking through the titles in a ticker tape fashion, is so hard for me to watch and my husband does it so fast, I tell him to let me know when he’s done before I look at the TV.

Also, when someone is eating ice cream, and doesn’t eat all of it off the spoon, but instead, eats a layer at a time, I want to take the spoon and pop them on the forehead with it.

Whistling is a big trigger for me too. My family knows not to whistle around me, LOL!

#6890 Reply
              Kathy

Basketballs dribbling for hours on end. I cannot stand it, and I live next door to a constant game. It is affecting my health.

#7461 Reply
                Courtney Pace

Hey there, I have a million and one trigger noises that most of you have covered, so I won’t lay them all BUT one I haven’t come across yet are animal noises. Dogs and cats licking themselves literally send me over the edge. I love animals very much and am passionate about advocating against their abuse, but I will admit that I’ve severely physically lashed out at a few due to their INFURIATING noises!! I get it in my head that they SHOULD listen when I tell them to stop, and if I have to resort to violence then that reinforcement should DEFINITELY make them listen! The visual that comes along with that noise is almost worse, it takes absolutely everything in me to not smash their face in. Needless to say, as much as I’d love a pet, its just not worth the rage.

#7471 Reply
                  Kathleen

My trigger is whistling. I’ve worked in several offices that have open floor plans (no walls or cubicles) with habitual whistlers. I’ve tried speaking to my bosses. They roll their eyes. I’ve approached the whistlers. In one case, he increased whistling more often to mock me. An ex-boyfriend was infuriated with me because he said whistling is an expression of joy.

#7482 Reply
                    mj

Replying to Brigette 10/9/2017. You mention people who eat ice cream from a spoon by sort of sliding layers off with their top lip until they finally empty the spoon. OMG My father used to do that. I remember watching him as a kid and feeling the emotional turmoil, of course being very disturbed by how he ate and how I felt about it. Years later, my daughter as a teen started eating ice cream that way. I never talked about it with either of them or anyone else. Could not stay in the room when my daughter ate ice cream. The feeling of guilt about this response and concern about being weird or crazy was just awful. Today, at 70 yrs. old, my first experiences discovering how complex this syndrome is. Thank you for sharing.

#7673 Reply
                      Elizabeth

I can’t stand the sound of people chewing slurping sniffing, dogs barking and when I hear someone especially my sister when she makes a cup of tea or coffee She doesn’t stir but literally beats the cup to death. Phones going off all the time with notifications or the sound of keypads when they make that little sound when you text etc. iv net liked that nails down a chalkboard sound or people chewing on ice, the sound of basketball balls being bounced near me also

#8616 Reply
                        Liz

My main triggers are:
                          – people talking with food in their mouth
                          – sniffing/sneezing
                          – Coughing
                          – noisy eating
                          – pen clicking
                          – babies/children crying/noisy

I find the work environment particularly difficult as I simply can’t avoid these noises and it really can lead to me feeling trapped, my stomach is in a knot and I feel like I could cry and just go home.

#8615 Reply
                          Madison

LIP SMACKING. That drives me up the wall. I have a teacher who does it constantly, and every time he does it I feel all my muscles tense up and my breathing constrict. Depending on the day, my triggers can mildly irritate me or send me into a rage. I usually end up muttering to myself, rolling my eyes, or even hitting my head on the table/desk in front of me.
                            Shushing is another big one, though my reaction to it isn’t as extreme. Also, depending on my stress level, door slamming and any particularly loud or high-pitched noise can be a trigger. Certain speech patterns annoy me, too, like the constant repetition of a certain word or phrase in someone’s speech, especially when it is used incorrectly.
                            Additionally, it can be distressing to me when people slur the letter “s” or pronounce consonants a certain way, especially when they do it constantly.
                            I have anxiety, and I’m curious to see if others with misophonia have anxiety or OCD and whether they might be linked.

#1008936 Reply
                            Jess

I encounter my number one trigger most often at work and its usually someone eating in the desk next to mine; I cannot handle listening to anyone eating yogurt out of the little plastic containers. To be even more specific, I hate the sound of a spoon scraping against the plastic pot. People gulping drinks, slurping from acrylic cups and straws, or clicking their nails against a hard surface bother me. There are other combinations of utensils against containers that bother me too but number one is the spoon / yogurt cup combo. It enrages me with a feeling that my face is going to melt off. I have to leave my cube and take a walk until I’m sure they are done.

#1008948 Reply
                              pha

Chewing gum, especially on a bus or train when I’m stuck and can’t get away. The anxiety and anger are roiling. I know some people feel uncomfortable moving once they’ve sat down but I just keep changing train cars til I find a quiet one.

Biting nails, (AAAAAAAAAH NO NONONONONO NONONO NO NO) especially one of the students that I supervise at work. Constantly biting nails and cracking knuckles. He repulses me.

Cracking knuckles. My boyfriend is a programmer and also plays piano, which I love about him. He is normally so caring and careful about my misophonia, but he needs to crack his knuckles. He says it’s uncomfortable if he doens’t do it. He uses his hands a lot, I think that’s why.

Burping, eating, typing on certain keyboards (but not others). Applause, but only when it’s recorded, like on a live track, and not IRL. So weird.

#1008961 Reply
                                PatchesPal

Have to get this off my chest!

It seems like almost all the guys I work with will enter a room, heave a huge sigh and then start walking aimlessly and going “choochoochoo” like a whispery thing. Hard to explain but annoys me so much I get very angry and usually leave the room.

I find that women do the choochoo thing too, but over the phone. Example: “Let me look that up for you…choochoochoo…choochoo”

I notice it more and more. I’m guessing these people get nervous if things are too quiet and feel they must make noise at all times. Ugh

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
                                Reply To: Reply #1009993 in What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]
                                Your information: