What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Isaac Roths

That sound that’s made when you swallow – while taking – and then click your tongue against your mouth while also, possibly smacking your lips. This may not be a good description, but basically everyone on YouTube seems to do this and it’s possibly the most torturous thing I’ve ever had to endure. I guess the best example I can give is Because Science’s Kyle mostly in his live episodes. He does this thing just about every 5 seconds. -_-

I don’t really have any problem with most real people because I have agoraphobia, so my only exposure to annoying sounds comes from YouTube.

#1009001 Reply
      G.R.

Right now, every sound that is repetitive. Some, more than others. Can’t even listen to Mozart anymore for longer than half an hour, especially if I catch a repetitive note, which is bound to happen, even with a genious like him. Getting worse as I get older. Best not to isolate myself but be exposed to trigger sounds on and off as I have found long term isolation from trigger sounds has made things worse for me. So, a bit like using homeopathy, but with no chance of cure, only stabilizing the ailment.

#1009017 Reply
        Honey

Everything is a trigger or at least that’s how it feels,

Dogs barking
          Kids talking loud
          Baby crying
          People eating especially with their mouth open, I have to leave the room some times.
          Biting nails, even people just touching their nails I swear I can hear noise!

Chewing yogurt… not necessariy!

Clanking cutlery around the mouth.

Pretty much anything that some deem upsetting you can add it on the list!

Makes meal times especially very uncomfortable for everyone!

#1009019 Reply
          Susan

Wow. I feel so bad for all of us. I always feel so awful about all the rage/anger I feel – especially toward my family members. My main triggers are mouth noises (eating with mouth open, lip smacking, slurping, etc), the “ahhh” people make every time they take a sip of coffee (i refuse to believe it is THAT good/refreshing!), nail clipping, some keyboard typing (not all), spoon scraping the yogurt cup (just awful! my co-worker must stir the yogurt several times very fast before EACH spoonful, scraping the sides of the cup EVERY time) – just to name a few. It is somewhat of a relief to know I am not alone in this. Although I sincerely believe it is contributing to my hypertension (I can feel my blood pressure rising during lunch time at work when I am unable to leave my desk and remove myself from the noise).

However, I would like to thank you all for spot-on descriptions of your reactions! (Some actually made me laugh out loud!). I wish the best for you all in dealing with this.

Let’s put our minds together and come up with a solution/treatment!

#1009203 Reply
            Elisabeth

Don’t even get me started. I can’t stand when people eat, or breathe. Gum is the worst thing ever invented. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to chew gum, but I stopped when I realized, HOW INFURIATING IT IS, to listen to.

I was recently seated next to a person, who absolutely loved gum. And last year, I sat next to the worst kind of person in the entire ducking universe; the person who thinks it’s FUNNY to annoy me. He realized that I rested my head on my hand, and put a finger in my ear, to block his breathing noise. But he made it worse, the second he realized that. I sometimes wanted to hit him for thinking that it was funny.

Also, I get seriously triggered by movements too. My whole family moves their feet around when watching TV. This has forced me to stay in my room most of the times, an interesting show is on the TV. And in cars…. that’s probably the worst. There’s no escape. My little sister has her hands on her lap, and then she fidgets with them. I get INFURATED. Sometimes I bring a blanket into the car, so I can put it over my head or bury my face in it. Also, we are 3 kids, so one has to be in the middle seat. That middle seat is the demon itself. There’s nowhere, I can look without a person being there, and I can’t lean on anything. That sucks. If I didn’t have my trusty old headphones….

Luckily they are noise canceling. They were expensive, but my parents realized, that I needed them, and I got them. I thank the gods for them almost every day.

Today, I was just making my lunch for tomorrow, and my mom was emptying the dish washer. I could hear her sharp breathing, and it triggered me to the point where I needed to escape. I usually pressure myself into staying, because I hope that it will get better. It never does, so when I finally surrender, I’m running. It probably looks so weird from other people’s POV. I’m just casually doing something, and then suddenly speed walking(if not running) towards the nearest door.

Anyway, I opted for the nearest door, and as soon as I closed it, I slid down the wall, and started crying. I couldn’t take it. It’s the same if I walk into the kitchen, thinking that I want to get something to eat, but then my mom is sitting at the table, eating her favorite food. Its some kind of, IDK thick yoghurt? But EVERY TIME she puts the spoon down, to pick up some more, it makes that deadly sound we all know. It sounds like someone eating a banana or yoghurt(times 10). It SO BAD.

I usually just close the door again. It’s the same when my little sister eats crackers. I know she gets hurt, but I can’t deal with it.

And there’s something I have named “unconscious eating” it’s when people eat, but they eat SSLLOOWWLLYY because their attention is on something like a newspaper or a phone.

#1009200 Reply
              Lauren

-Snoring. By far my worst trigger and unfortunately something my husband does almost every night. My defenses are down when I’m tired so the irritability multiplies which obviously exacerbates the issue.

-Repetitive noises make me feel super anxious. Foot/ finger tapping, clicking pens, and sniffling/ throat cleaning come to mind.

-Hearing muffled music coming from someone else’s headphones. Honestly I’d rather them just play their music out loud.

-Brigette’s note about eating ice cream resonated with me 100%. Until I read this thread, I hadn’t associated this issue with my misophonia.

#1009223 Reply
                Jennifer

I am going to explode due to the sound of my husband snoring. I hate it. The physical response it creates in me makes my legs quake and me whisper, “oh my god oh my god”. It is ruining my life Bc he doesn’t understand nor try to and forces me to sleep in the same bed which makes me loathe him alomg with the sound. It never ever stops. I’m full of anxiety and my skin is suffering from sleep deprivation. And I don’t want touch him the selfish bellowing beast. I know it’s my issue but his every sound I begin to hate, each breath Bc he won’t give me freedom or respect to be at peace and he won’t address the snoring himself. I’m so miserable.

#1009266 Reply
                  Truus

My triggers have changed over the years but lately the one that’s bothering me the most is sick noises. Like people who are sick coughing violently, hacking up phlegm, sniffling, blowing their nose in a honking way, etc. The sounds of their sickness in certain environments gets me so angry inside, like I’m being personally offended or something, even though I know they can’t help it!! I feel so bad.

#1009275 Reply
                    David

aircraft noise

#1009307 Reply
                      12 yr old girl.

Any body sounds. The ones in caps are the BIG ones < COUGHING, BURPING, FARTING, CLEARING THROAT, SNIFFLING, SNEEZING, SLURPING, SLURPING.
                        Some other mild ones < Gum chewing, forms of talking, shushing, scratching, scraping.

Now….This is something also weird about my Misophonia. For me, it’s mostly ONLY human sounds. Sounds like animals, traffic, train,etc are fine for me. In fact, when my dog Gia farts or sneezes, my reaction is…..Awwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1009474 Reply
                        Ellen

Mouth noises
                          Breathing (including my own)
                          Swallowing (including my own)
                          Sniffing
                          Sighing or moaning
                          Toilets flushing
                          Feet shuffling
                          Silence
                          General muffled noises from outside the room
                          Repeated “yeehah” or “woohah” noises (i am schizophrenic and heard these noises in my head. They upset me so much i eventually just started screaming)
                          Visual triggers are people moving their feet
                          People rubbing there hands together
                          People rubbing the corners of thier mouth
                          (Absolutely disgusting)

I only really get this when i am already stressed out or angry
                          Most of the time these noises are just annoying
                          But when it does start it is like a snowball effect leading to more and more triggers
                          It is intollerable

#1009491 Reply
                          Suzanne Wilkinson-McKay

Trigger sounds:
                            Apples
                            Typing on a computer keyboard
                            Crisps
                            Anything crunchy
                            Clocks ticking
                            Any loud noise that I can’t control (eg if my Mum has her TV on too loud)
                            The sound of someone’s music through headphones
                            Next door’s TV
                            Unexpected laughter or extended laughing
                            Slurping and gulping
                            Chanting at a football (soccer) match
                            I could go on…
                            So glad I am not alone ?

#1009603 Reply
                            Dee

– Every crying/screaming baby or kid (in frustration, fury, or play… doesn’t matter)
                              – People whining or arguing
                              – Nearly every cell phone alert/sound/ring I’ve ever heard
                              – Chewing noises
                              – Slurping noises
                              – The horrid sound of someone wandering around the house talking loudly in the phone
                              – Those clicky noises when people are texting
                              – Any metal on metal noise (metal turner in a pan, aluminum foil being crunched, steel sharpener on a knife, etc)
                              – Several types of music (rap and raggae top the list)
                              – Off-key sounds
                              – Sniffling/snorking instead of just wiping their nose

Those are the big ones most of the time. When I’m already stressed or anxious, it multiplies. One of my long-term friends doesn’t believe in misophonia… she says I’m just too sensitive and I should just ignore it all. I’m now ignoring her.

#1009602 Reply
                              Dee

Loud TV, yes.
                                Screaming/arguing, yes.
                                Whining (especially kids), yes.
                                I feel your feels!

#1009662 Reply
                                Jason Strong

I’ve read several posts and maybe I’m missing those shared triggers, but mine are coughing, sneezing, clearing the throat; things I know people can’t control. But when a co-worker starts to cough I want to jump out of my skin. I have the smaller triggers like everyone else is talking about, but those three I mentioned cause such an irrational rage I want to scream! Actually, I wanted to write rip the person’s head off, but wasn’t sure how it would be perceived in my first post.

Even in church when someone starts coughing it would drive me nuts. Then they would dig in their purse for a cough drop or candy. You would think I would be happy they are trying to suppress their cough, but no, i’m Jumping out of my skin at the rattling of the wrapper the candy has.

Tapping the foot is another of those 2nd tier triggers. I immediately jump to rage when they happen. It truly sucks being like this.

Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)
                                Reply To: Reply #1009993 in What Are Your Misophonia Trigger Sounds? [CONTAINS TRIGGERS]
                                Your information: