Visual Triggers

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Visual Triggers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anne Marie

Hello everyone, I’m Anne Marie, a fellow sufferer if mksophonia. Mine started out with chewing and crunching 3 or 4 years ago, but as I get older my list of triggers keeps getting bigger and bigger, which terrifies me, because I’m only 16 years old. Is there anyone else that has visual triggers? Mine started with simply seeing people eat without hearing them, but there’s a lot more to it now. I will be triggered by people shaking their leg under their desk, or typing really quickly on their phone, or touching their face at all sometimes. I feel scared that at this rate I won’t even be a functioning adult, and wanted to see if anyone could share their story with the sorts of visual triggers they might have, and if my list of triggers will ever stop growing?

#1009175 Reply

Hi Anne Marie, great to hear from you.

I’ll kick this off as I feel like the misokinesia (visual triggers) has recently got as bad, if not worse sometimes, than the misophonia.

For me it tends to be mainly face and hand related and it’s 1,000 times worse when it’s in my peripheral vision.

In other words if I can see from the side that…

Someone is touching their face
      Making strange hand movements
      Tugging their hair
      Stroking their beard
      Resting their hand on their face in a unusual position
      Pointing at something
      Drumming fingers
      Clasping and rubbing hands together
      Texting on phone
      Rolling fingers together
      Fidgeting in general

Also any eating related movements are triggers, as you say above. Seeing someone chewing (even if it’s soundless) either straight on or in my peripheral vision is really tough.

These are the main ones I can think of off the top of my head.

When I realised that actually it’s mainly two things it really helped. I felt less out of control or ‘weird’ knowing that it’s face and/or hands rather than hundreds of little separate triggers. Also the peripheral vision thing.

This may or may not be similar for you but if you look at it this way, the list of triggers never really grows (they’re just variations on the same thing). It also means you can form better coping mechanisms. e.g. try to avoid sitting next to or to near people who are anxious or fidget a lot. Create barriers to block visual triggers if possible/if you need to. I have a plant next to be at work which I can kind of position so I can’t see my colleague touching his face all the time.

You can lead a wonderful and fulfilling with misophonia and miskokinesia, I promise. If you’re able to accept it and work with it, it stops ruling you.

#1009178 Reply
      Anne Marie

Thank you so much!
        Despite how grueling misophonia can be it’s very comforting to know that there are indeed people that feel the same things as me and Yes, I have very very similar triggers. I’m always trying to find new ways to not make my loved ones feel like I hate them, and I’m so glad to have found a place where I can see how other people deal with it- and you seem to be in a good place, or a good mindset about it- something I definitely need to work on.
        Though I know I shouldn’t feel this way, I don’t want to feel like a “freak” in school. I’m already the kid that teachers have to let wear headphones during tests, or in class if there’s no better option. In my classes there is no place to be where I’m not right next to someone who’s moving a lot, or someone who munches on an entire cup of ice during a whole block, or someone who doesn’t know what a tissue is or how to use it.
        But anyways, I’m very grateful for this website, thank you!

#1009183 Reply

You’re very welcome!

#1009188 Reply
        CJ

Hair twirling
          Throwing an object in the air on repeat
          Feet tapping
          Swinging in chairs
          Jumping in chairs

#1009202 Reply
          Elisabeth

Hi, I’m Elisabeth, and I am so glad to find that there’s actually a diagnosis for being triggered by movements.

My problem with Misokinesia is mostly among my family, and Misophonia is everywhere.

I like watching stuff on the TV with my family, but I always dread it, because my whole family always move their feet around. They do stuff like bending their toes and straightening them again, moving their ankles around. I can’t explain with words, how much I HATE it. My mom has something called “restless leg syndrome” which makes it even worse.

Because of this, it has just grown, and now I can’t even see a foot without having to walk away or pull on my hoodie to cover it.

I’m not sure I have Misophonia, but I might have mild Misophonia. If someone chews a gum…. NONONONONONONO NO. And if we are on vacation, I might have to share a room without someone. If I can hear them BREATHE, I will go crazy.

#1009272 Reply
            Paige

I am so relieved to hear others have visual triggers like I do! I have misophonia for sure; I cannot tolerate candy wrappers crinkling or someone on an airplane talking non-stop to the passenger next to him or her. As such, I suspected misophonia had something to do with my irritation when my sister pulls at her hair. At about 3-5 second intervals, her hand rises up to the crown of her head, she then separates out a hair, then she pulls it all the way to the end looking for irregularities. I have to look the exact opposite direction so I can’t see it as soon as I see her lift her hand. I am pretty sure she has trichotillomiania. But, the problem is with me as I can’t tolerate it. I have trouble with noises at work and if I hear a dog barking in my neighborhood while I am home, I have to turn a fan on. It’s scary because I feel its getting worse. I hope there are treatments that can help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
            Reply To: Reply #1009272 in Visual Triggers
            Your information: