Supporting a 7 yr old with misophonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Supporting a 7 yr old with misophonia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michelle

We have come to realise that our 7 Year old daughter suffers with misophonia and shocked at the level of anxiety & rage it creates for her.
      In hindsight it started with a sensitivity to general sound & in her 1st year of school she dropped out of choir complaining that the singing was “too loud”. A year or 2 on, with all ENT checks being “normal”, we have a daily struggle to deal with her rage at the dinner table with both mouth noises & visual of mouths. It causes much tension & often ends in arguments between us all. Her older brother cops most of the anger and as he is a teen he tends to retaliate even though he also tries to understand.
      We have tried changing seating plan, we always have TV on & sometimes resorted to headphones, but some days the visual triggers are just too much even when the noise is dealt with.
      I don’t want to isolate her or change our habits of eating together.
      I am concerned about her coping at school, & the social repercussions of her getting angry with others.
      I would love to hear from those in similar situation with guidance on coping mechanisms for such a young age. If you can remember how this condition maybe affected concentration & learning at school & any advice you can give in order for us to best support her we would love to hear from you:)

#1008901 Reply
      Olivia

Hi Michelle,

As someone who grew up with Misophonia, I remember childhood being very challenging because at that young of an age its hard to understand what is going on and why you’re feeling this way which tends to lead to more anger. I remember at school the kids would eat goldfish and it would drive me crazy! One day, I couldn’t take it anymore so I asked my teacher if I could move seats. It helped me stay focused being on the edge of the room and away from the loud eaters. As a parent, I would make an attempt at speaking to her teachers and asking if she can move seats if things get worse for her because it does make a difference.

Coping at that age can also be difficult but there are things you can do. Sound machines can be placed in multiple places around the house and provide sound therapy and comfort for those with Misophonia. It is important that you make attempts at making sure she isn’t frequently exposed to her trigger sounds, especially in her home environment. We want her to have places where she can feel safe and comfortable and home should be one of those places.

As for family meals, try the sound machines in the kitchen and see if that may ease her a bit. If nothing seems to be working, I suggest finding another activity for family time such as going for a walk together after dinner or something like that.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
        Olivia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      Reply To: Reply #1008901 in Supporting a 7 yr old with misophonia
      Your information: