My misophonia is getting worse as I get older

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum My misophonia is getting worse as I get older

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Laura

I have disliked noise for as long as I can remember, but as I have got older it has got worse to the point where I find it difficult to be with people. I am naturally a bubbly person, but of recent times I have become more withdrawn and want to be on my own. To read other people’s stories is of great comfort, because as much as you may have the most loving family, I don’t think people truly understand unless they have experienced it.

#1011846 Reply

Hey Laura, totally agree, there are some great stories on there. It’s great to know that we’re not alone.

I just want to add some counterbalance on the age/misophonia issue – as this has come up a couple of times recently.

My own personal experience is that my misophonia hasn’t worsened with age and that it has more or less stayed the same, but with peaks and troughs which can sometimes last weeks or months.

For me those peaks and troughs almost always seem to be related to one of two things:

1) Stress levels (how much work I have on and how things are going with my relationships)
      2) My environment (i.e. have the sounds in my day to day increased/decreased recently?)

As an overarching theme, and an addition to the above, is that I’ve found learning more about misophonia and reading about neuroscience and the brain has really helped me improve the way I can cope in the day to day.

#1012446 Reply
      Mary

i’ve had misophonia since i have been a child. It has been terrible. I avoid people as much as possible. My latest problem is there is a low humming noise that i hear when i am at home. I’m not sure if it’s a neighbor’s tv or maybe something else , but it keeps me awake at night. I can’t concentrate and I am nervous when I am at home. I wish I could live somewhere that is completely away from people. This has affected my life so horribly. I’m glad I finally have a place to vent where people understand. I am ashamed to tell my family.

#1012449 Reply
        Carola

Hello everyone

First of all, I am very happy to have found this site. I see that there are more people in the same situation as me.

The truth is that sounds have bothered me for a long time and that I think I have misophony, when I hear certain sounds I feel irritable and in a bad mood.

The problem is that for a long time now my partner’s noises have bothered me and that has caused our relationship to get worse … I really don’t know if my misophony can make the relationship wear out and end.

Lately I have begun to notice strange things in my partner, his behaviors … and I suppose it is because of my reactions to his sounds that bother me and my treatment towards him.

I have found a site that talks about infidelity in marriage and it has given me good answers, but I want to ask you if anyone has suffered this situation with misophinia and if it has affected the marriage.

#1012805 Reply
          Anne Janet crane

I too have had miso since I was very young. When in school, clicking pens, tapping, seeing repetitive motion, hearing whispering, (disturbing more when you know the offender can control it) was a nightmare. I have custom made earplugs because hearing my husband breathe triggers me. We have changed restaurant tables more times than I care to remember just because a table nearby had loud talkers and annoying laughter. Loud talkers with accents exacerbates my triggers. The only thing redeeming is that my husband has been very understanding. This pandemic requiring us to stay at home, to me has made my miso so much more tolerable. Good to know that other people share my misery.

#1012917 Reply
            Nora

Hi! My case of misophonia has also gotten worse with time and age. I’m also ashamed to talk to my family about it. They know and try to help but helping them understand more is beyond difficult. Sometimes I think they finally get it and the next day my dad says something ignorant that really hurts me. Then they get so angry at me for not talking to them about it and communicating but the truth is whenever I do they just don’t understand. I feel like I can’t do anything right. In order to not get triggered, I wear my headphones at every family gathering, but then they get super upset at me if I can’t hear (I have to turn the volume up super loud to relive myself). Then if I don’t wear them so I can hear, I get triggered and lash out and they get angry at me for that. I cannot do anything right. Hearing your stories is painful but we share this pain. I have never met or known of another person with this issue, so hearing that others struggle too takes some of the load off.

#1012930 Reply
              Hatice

I have misophonia ever since I know myself, but it gets worse as I grow older. now my eyes are full even when I only see gum. And I’m only 16 years old. My family probably sees me as an obsessed teenager. I tried to explain to them but I got bad reactions. That is, misophonia is not only that much. I have had okb, anxiete and depression with misophonia. I think I am even bipolar. misophonia triggers many diseases, but psychiatrists do not care as much as necessary. I want to live. I want to enjoy life. But life condemns me to drown under a deep sea. please tell me your suggestions.I don’t know how much more I can live this way.

#1012943 Reply

Hi Hatice, I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through. I know it might not seem like it at the moment it but I really think it does get easy to cope with as you get older (not least because you have more independence and freedom to find quiet spaces as and when you need to as an adult). If you have a moment take a look here at some coping techniques which may help you: http://allergictosound.com/articles/misophonia-coping-strategies/. Also, this article may be helpful for your parents: http://allergictosound.com/articles/why-parents-partners-siblings-mum-dad-biggest-misophonia-triggers/. If you’re feeling overwhelmed please don’t suffer in silence Hatice and do let your parents know how you’re feeling so they can help

#1013248 Reply
                Simi

There are a few comments here about shame. It bothers me, although I also sometimes feel stupid telling people about misophonia. We need to remember there’s nothing to be ashamed of. How people react is their choice. Easier said than done, I know.

#1013508 Reply
                  L

Mine is getting worse as I get older too, I hate being around people and I’m only **. It makes it worse that my family tries to hide it and I have no one to talk to. I am very glad that I found this website, it makes me feel like i’m not alone. I haven’t even told my best friend.

#1013655 Reply
                    Jess

Hello don’t know if this will work
                      Is anyone else just had it with misophinia? I’m done with it.. I cry everyday I smash things up.. I’m pissed off..

#1013782 Reply
                      anti

Hi, I just discovered this site after recently hearing the term misophonia.

Ive suffered my who]e life, since I was 10 or so at least as I recall smashing a window with my fist due to the sound of my brothers playing.

It carried on throughout my teens, my 20s and has become worse since then. I have to wear headphones with loud music when out as peoples voices can make me seethe with rage, depending on volume, tone, accent and the context. Any kind of neighbour noise is also unbearable to me, even if very difficult for others to even hear at all. And just the anticipation of triggers can lead to anxiety, or optical cues such as mouths moving.

The best thing I was able to do to help was buying bluetooth headphones and learning to stay busy, with lots of exercise, especially competitive full contact martial arts. Even though some environments can be noisy, it doesn’t bother me when Im part of it.

It seems getting involved seems to help, but that can be hard if you happen to also be socially detached for whatever reason. Perhaps drama or music would be other activities to pursue.

Its good to have finally learned there is at least an actual term to describe the disorder and to learn of the associated disorders, a few of which I also clearly have.

Good luck to you all.

#1014783 Reply
                        Sam

I’m sitting in an airport researching misophonia because I’m just now realizing this is a valid reason for why I’ve always suffered feelings of panic and anxiety around certain noises. Today, I’m being triggered by people playing Instagram/Tiktok videos out loud on their phones with no headphones. I think most people would find this behavior rude, but I hear these things and I have a fight or flight reaction, and since I’m a fairly passive person, I flee to areas with less acute noise. The drone of people passing through the terminal and rolling their suitcases doesn’t bother me.. but as soon as I hear someone playing personal music/audio out loud on poor quality phone speakers, I can’t focus on anything else. I get enraged. I feel validated that I’m not the only one that suffers this, I’m starting to realize I have other triggers. Cars passing by my house with the bass turned up is a big one. I have to stop my current activity until I no longer can hear it. I’m just afraid it will get worse as I learn more about misophonia.

#1014809 Reply
                          Someone

Hi. I read all the messages on the board, and it feels so good that someone understands. I’m a fourteen year old living in a family of five and it gets horrible at times to the point of where it cause me to go into a panic attack. Their breathing, the clicking their tongue makes, how there mouth clicks when they just ate, drinking water, chewing, basically any mouth noise along with static. I I also can’t look at peoples’ mouthes when they eat or it gets me triggered. My mom understands sometimes because she has it too, but I honestly feel like I got it really bad. It’s caused me to panic in class and stay in the bathrooms during lunches, cry and breakdown, and leave and sit in a different room whenever I see someone pull out food. My brothers don’t understand it when I say can you chew with your mouth closed and they say I can’t help it and chew louder. It’s gotten really bad over the years, it started around 12 I think and I’m almost 15, and it causes me to do these cringes with my neck when I hear the noise or kick my leg involvontariy but it stops once my panic goes down and I don’t hear the noise anymore. I hate this and it’s ruining my relationships, expectially my mom because she understands it but you can still see she hurts when I go and sit at the table when she starts eating, and it hurts really bad, but I can’t go over there cause I don’t want to cause a scene. I feel like it would hurt my parents feelings, my dad is my main trigger and try’s to sit away for me, if I asked to get earplugs or noise cancelling head phones because I know my mom is dealing with hers fine, I feel like a baby if I ask because of that. They both know I have it but they don’t know how worse it’s gotten, I have so much anxiety thinking about it all. I know it’s gotten and most likely is going to get worse, but I don’t know what to do and don’t want to ask and offend them. I know it’s not as bad as your guys, but if you have any advice from experiencing it longer, I would greatly appreciate it.

#1015280 Reply
                            anon

I have had miso now for as long as i can remember. I’m 18 and prior to now my main trigger was chewing. Chips and gum was always the worst for me and I would feel incredibly bad asking people to chew with their mouths closed or to quiet down. Within the last year or two it has gotten a lot worse and is no longer just chewing that bothers me. If I hear my dads tv from my room or any other noise especially other people talking I get so angry. I try so hard to just not let it bother me but it’s so difficult. If I’m sleeping and get woken up to the sound of people having a conversation outside of my room I can’t help but cry and feel crazy. Any time I try to mention it to my dad he gets so mad with me as if I can’t stop it from bothering me. He doesn’t even try to understand how it upsets me. The bedroom next to mine is my dads “office” type room it’s a little hard to explain, but he has a fan on in there and it makes this vibrating noise that drives me absolutely insane. I have asked if he could turn it down and a few times he has listened and understood, but other times he gets very angry with me. I am able to put headphones in or turn my tv volume up but it still keeps me up at night. My miso has gotten a lot worse with age and I have even lost friends over it. A close friend of mine was very aware that chewing bothered me and would purposely do it to make me mad. She thought it was funny that it bothered me and didn’t understand why I didn’t see the humor in it. I completely stopped going around her because she was so insensitive and had to intentionally bother me any time we ate. I have read endless articles on how to cope but so far they have not been very helpful. I hope I can learn to let noises bother me less and it feels very good to know I’m not alone in this and other people struggle with the same thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                            Reply To: Reply #1013782 in My misophonia is getting worse as I get older
                            Your information: