Misophonia in class

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Misophonia in class

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jenny

I’ve never been to this forum before but I was ridiculously excited and relieved when I found the WebMD page for misophonia. I’ve been struggling with this for my whole life and it’s put so much strain on relationships for me, and people can say sounds annoy them but I didn’t know anyone could ever understand how I feel when it’s more than just being annoyed.
      So anyway I’m in college and there’s a lot of things that really bother me. In one of my classes for example, there’s two students that bite their nails. It’s not the sound but the visual of the sound that really bothers me and I just sit in class and am driven to tears half the time because of how uncomfortable it makes me. The seats are in a U-shape and I reached out to the professor to ask her to maybe make a seating chart and she wouldn’t.
      In my other class (I’m actually in it right now and am actually freaking out), this girl has been sniffling every 10 seconds for the past 50 minutes. It’s driving me actually crazy and I stepped out for 5 minutes but now I’m back and just really don’t know what I can do about this. I get so angry and want to just scream at her to get a GD tissue, but I can’t. Any strategies?

#1009164 Reply
      Rose

I feel you. Sniffling makes me want to scream, punch, flip a table over and run away, which clearly isn’t acceptable in a classroom. Something that has helped me the slightest bit is either rubbing my foot across the carpet or rubbing one of my papers against another. They make a sound that is sort of similar to a sniffle so it kind of neutralizes it for me. Not the best coping strategy when the sounds happen every few seconds, but it’s all I can do. I also use white noise generators (aka hearing aids) that put white noise in my ear and I can adjust the volume, but I can’t use them often for my discussion-based classes because I can’t hear others talk/I can still hear some sniffling/they hurt my ears a little.
        However, I have been able to get accommodations through my school (I’m in college too). I went to the counseling center and even though the psychologist didn’t know what misophonia was, she’s been trying to help me. She referred me to the head of disability services and I have a separate room for testing, free reign to step out of the room when I need to, and even flexible attendance. None of that has helped with the daily classroom setting we’re subjected to because I can’t really skip class anyway, but it’s better than nothing. Maybe if you talked to your professor and explained what was going on, she might be more accommodating and try to come up with something to help you (though trust me, I know there is very little that can be done). Or, you could go over her head to disability services. Good luck.

#1009212 Reply
        Anonymous

I am only twelve and the sound of sniffling in class makes me so disgusted and angry, I can’t even explain it, that I began to scratch at my wrists with a pencil to distract me. My teacher noticed though and I was sent to the counsellor and although it helped talking to someone about it who didn’t think I was annoying or crazy, it still drives me absolutely mad. Yawning is probably the worst trigger for me and sometimes I physically lash out or simply burst into tears whenever I hear it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        Reply To: Reply #1009164 in Misophonia in class
        Your information: