Job hunting with misophonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Job hunting with misophonia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jen

I am finding it difficult to find a job that I can work with my misophonia. (Luckily I have a job right now, but it’s a huge source of triggers and I’m miserable.)

I’ve looked into jobs I can work from home but most of them are so part time they won’t pay the bills. I don’t have technical skills, which a lot of the best at home jobs require.

Has anyone found a position or industry that allows for more at home work or another solution? I wear headphones, but without cranking up the sound and destroying my hearing I can still hear almost everything through them. (And the 3-4 x per minute coughing is making me COMPLETELY NUTS.)

#6881 Reply
      Molly

I would recommend perhaps a library? I am in the same position right now. Trying to find a job that won’t be miserable. My trigger is babies crying. And babies are everywhere. If you’re still a student I’d ask them if they could give you any jobs on campus so it might be easier?

#6925 Reply
        Michal

I work in a hospital as a supervisor, so people are unavoidable in my field. I’m extremely lucky in that I’ve been able to talk to my office mates and boss and let them know about my miso so that they can try to help accommodate it. My boss is a gum popper/smacker, but she no longer chews gum around me. She has also excused me from certain meetings because they’re too long for me to tolerate without going crazy. I’m not sure that there’s a safe industry out there (although a library is a good suggestion), but you might find people will try to be more accommodating than you expect if you try to explain it to them. Coughing and babies crying is tough though, that can’t always be helped, even if they mean well.

As for job ideas, what about a delivery driver? Pizza, car parts, etc… you’d at least be alone during your trips.

#1008995 Reply
          kim

Maybe an OR nurse? I think operating rooms are pretty regulated so that you don’t have to see so much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Reply #1008995 in Job hunting with misophonia
          Your information: