I almost feel like I won’t be able to live with this.

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum I almost feel like I won’t be able to live with this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Howarth

So, my family is full of objectively loud eaters and I have dealt with it for the 14 years of my life so far. But right now it is the worst it has ever been. I cannot eat at the table and such with my family and the stress has expanded beyond just sound. I can no longer watch them eat and in the case of my brother I can barely even look at them. My brain automatically puts the sound into my head, even when I’m wearing headphones and listening to music. I think I may be going insane, as in my brother’s case , I can’t handle hearing him breathing and I can’t handle hearing my dad sniffling. I’ve tried time and time again talking about my issue with my mother but she just laughs at me and keeps trying to make me eat at the table. At this point, my mental state is deteriorating and I’ve begun to have legitimate depression. I honestly believe that misophonia will be a severe hindrance to my life and I don’t know how to deal with it other than wearing headphones everywhere. Any help?

#1010168 Reply
      CJ

I struggled to get confidence for many many years but eventually found some for communicating with people with regards to their bad habits. It’s difficult but you just have to try keep calm and explain you can’t cope with their bad habits and that it’s them not you that’s the issue! Good luck however you try deal with it

#1010194 Reply
        Sandra

Hi Adam, you sound like you’ve reached rock bottom with it. Why wouldn’t you? You tried talking to your family and were faced with them not taking it seriously, adding mockery to real pain must have been very tough to respond to. I’m guessing you are young and of an age where you have to live at home with parents…torture. I can relate to this too. I had to share a room with two of my sisters whose snoring, breathing, nasal habits were horrendous. There were no headphones to escape with I used the fingers in ears technique as I tried to sleep. I told my family and they laughed at me and teased me by making louder eating noises, my mother thought my nerves were at me. They didn’t understand because they were ignorant of the condition. I’m in my 40’s now and in control of who I stay around, unlike you I can eat where I want to. I have printed out articles on misophonia and have gave them to my family to read, also my friends have read them….it shows them if anything that there are many people like you and me and that it is a condition. perhaps your mother might think twice about forcing you to eat with them, perhaps she might take a little control of how the rest of the family behave around you. All you need is one person in your family to educate themselves about misophonia and perhaps be supportive. My advice in coping techniques would be try bring a book/comic to the table with your headphones…avoid looking at their mouths. But it is hard to do as your brain just fills in the blanks. Escape and earplugs are my biggest life savers so who am i to tell you what to do? Just look after yourself and its is a depressing and angry condition that often overwhelms but it passes and this will too, good luck Adam and let us know how you are doing. Sandra

#1010224 Reply
          Emma

For me is hard to to live with misophonia just when you think you have to live all your life with that but no maybe there is no specific treatment but there is a treatment so I offered you to go to a doctor and to a psychiatrist may they help you so i sleep alone i eat but not im still hungry my family don’t know about that I have tried to tell to my mother but I don’t i cant do it im trying to make my life easier you should try to you’re not the only one some hates more sounds than you someone has no rome to sleep alone someone is afraid to sleep alone so say everything will be okay even if it will not be thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          Reply To: Reply #1010224 in I almost feel like I won’t be able to live with this.
          Your information: