Housemate’s breathing and constant throat clearing driving me to tears

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Housemate’s breathing and constant throat clearing driving me to tears

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gem

Hi everyone,
      I am a long term misophonia sufferer and have experienced frustration and rage mostly with eating sounds before. However recently I have developed a pure rage response to my housemate’s constant throat clearing and breathing. She holds her breath slightly before exhale so it sounds like a quiet grunt. She clears her throat about every 30 seconds and it engrages me to the point of feeling sick and having tears in my eyes. Eating and loud finger sucking during meals is also a problem. I am going through a breakup so my tolerance and capacity for emotional responses is at an all time low. I have stopped interacting with her and will just sit in my room with my rain app blaring in my ears for hours just to feel calm in my home. Please help, it’s so, so bad.

#1008996 Reply
      Claire

I don’t have any advice to offer, but I do understand how you’re feeling. I’ve been overwhelmed this month with misophonia, to the point where I’m having anxiety attacks in the morning. I’ve never had as a hard of a time as I’m having now. I wish I could say something helpful, but unfortunately I’m at a loss too. I know how frustrating this is. Anyways, I hope things get better for you.

#1009000 Reply
        G.R.

It seems like your housemate is going through some tough times herself. Constant throat clearing and breathing is a sign of anxiety. Have you considered talking to her? Maybe by now you have, since your post is a week old. If you have not, please come out of your room and ask her what is making her so anxious. If she is an Empath, she might be picking up on your emotional state and trying to work it out of her system which, when and if she does, will also help your state of mind.

#1009015 Reply
          CJ

Offer them throat sweets or leave them around the house as a subtle hint?

#1009020 Reply
            Gemma Hunter

Hi Claire and G.R. Thank you for your replies. Claire, I hope things have picked up for you. It really is horrible isn’t it. I have been feeling a bit more tolerant lately because my mood in general has improved a bit with time. One thing that i have found helps me a bit is telling someone about it. I usually text my Mum if it’s really bothering me, because she suffers misophonia too, so she understands, and we will usually end up having a bit of a laugh about how seemingly ridiculous we are for raging about people breathing, which makes me feel a bit better.
              C.R, thank you for your comment, I hadn’t thought of it that way and it’s always good to look at things from a different perspective. I think you may be right about anxiety, as she has other anxiety related tics such as picking and eating foot skin (yes, I died). I did mention that one to her and asked if she was ok however she said she was fine. I don’t know whether she feels close enough to me to talk about anything like that. Either way, she is leaving in 10 weeks so I am sure I will survive until then 🙂 things are much better than they were when I posted. My mood being low from my personal situation was definitely directly related to how much it bothered me. thank you both for your input.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            Reply To: Reply #1009000 in Housemate’s breathing and constant throat clearing driving me to tears
            Your information: