Do most mental health professionals know about misophonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum Do most mental health professionals know about misophonia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ellen

I just found out that there is a name for what i have been going through. I have previously tried to commit suicide because of noises that i couldnt get away from. I also have schizoprenia and have been triggered by noises that were in my head. Sometimes i feel like something horrible and disgusting is being done to me against my will. I was previously sexually assaulted in a hospital and i kind of feel the same way when i am being triggered. I am currently staying in an adult foster home and my roomate makes alot of open mouth chewing noises even in her sleep. Yesterday i tried to explain to the psychiatrist that i see for the schizophrenia that these noises make me feel bad. He just said yeah those noises are annoying. I didnt feel comfortable trying to explain to him any further. My sister is also a therapist and i am scared to talk to her about it. I was told by another psychiatrist not to diagnose my self online but i am sure that this is what i have.

#1009199 Reply
      CJ

My GP was clicking pen and I mentioned it to my partner and the GP asked what I said thinking I was asking him or her something (can’t remember which GP it was) and didn’t have a clue, which was a concern.

#1009267 Reply
        Truus

I spoke to a therapist about it once. I’ve had this problem ever since I was a kid, and I always thought it was just me, like I was just easily annoyed or was on edge or something. I also had tinnitus from birth, so I thought maybe it was actually the tinnitus that was causing some kind of noise distortion that was why I was particularly bothered and other people weren’t. I remember sitting in school and fuming inside about people next to me tapping their pencils or clicking their pens. Even when I liked the person. As I got older the anger would subside sometimes, but I always managed to find a new trigger.

The therapist I talked to didn’t know what misophonia was, but they said that it probably was a reaction to something deeper, like maybe I placed too much emphasis on the sound for other reasons, or I was less able to cope with the sound for other reasons, like stress, depression, anxiety, etc. I have PTSD so they thought it might also have to do with the symptoms of PTSD flaring up, and when those symptoms flare up, so does the misophonia. The first memories I have of pure rage with misophonia is with the person who r*ped me, and so it was logical to conclude that the misophonia may be something I attached to abuse over many years of living with my r*pist and now it’s sort of ingrained in my mind.

I hope you find answers!

Your roommate by the way – I grind my teeth in my sleep and sometimes it can sound like chewing. Didn’t know until I had a roommate. Now I use a mouthguard at night and I’m totally silent. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        Reply To: Reply #1009267 in Do most mental health professionals know about misophonia
        Your information: