A theory about my misophonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum A theory about my misophonia

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Curtis

I’ve suffered since I was 15 or so, and I’m 28 now. I’ve conducted literally thousands of hours of research about the disorder, trying to figure out how I can make it stop.

My case is kind of crummy because although I work in construction (noisy environment, so good there), my primary trigger is the sight of anyone chewing gum. If I see it, I feel like crap for the next 5 minutes. If someone pops it, I feel like crap for the next half hour. If I’m forced to work with someone who’s chewing, I want to murder them, get sweaty and shaky, and can’t think about anything else.

My theory is this: my triggers are gum chewing (with the mouth open of course), noisy eating, loud noises from upstairs neighbours, and pen clicking in a classroom. It seems to me that most triggers seem similar in that they have something to do with another person being RUDE, disrespectful, or otherwise ignorant, not caring about those around them.

Most of us were raised to think that chewing with your mouth open is rude, and that you should be aware that other people live near you and you should try not to be a nuisance.

When I think about it, rudeness bothers me more than most. I get annoyed any time I see another driver violate a rule of the road, like making a u-turn at an intersection, making a turn into any other lane than they’re supposed to, not signalling, speeding, weaving to get around traffic, even just HAVING a radar detector (a device designed exclusively to help people break the law)… Other things too, like someone in a grocery store oblivious to the fact that there are other shoppers around, so they push their cart down the middle of the aisle, walk slowly when someone is behind them and don’t think to move over, stop suddenly, waste time using their phone at the self-checkout when others are waiting. Another thing is people who don’t write or speak properly; they use “is” instead of “are”, spell words incorrectly, or stick apostrophes in places they shouldn’t.

Nothing in the last paragraph causes a misophonic reaction for me (thank god…), but I think it might be a hint to the psychological roots of the condition.

I know some people are triggered by things not explained by my theory, like their cat purring, or birds chirping, but still, I think it’s interesting.

#5220 Reply
      ELISE SMITH

HELLO, I AM THE SAME AGE AND MISOPHONIA HAS BEEN A NUISANCE SINCE AGE 12 OR SO..BUT HAS SEEMED TO BEEN GETTING WORSE TO THE POINT OF SORT OF DEBILITATING EXTREMES. ( CHEWING , SWALLOWING, THE SOUND OF FOOD SWISHING AROUND SOMEONE’S MOUTH AND DOWN SOMEONE’S THROAT, THROAT CLEARING ETC. THOSE ARE MY MAIN TRIGGERS AND IT’S MISERABLE BECAUSE I HAVE A BOYFRIEND WHO IS CONSTANTLY “FLEMMY ” AND ALSO SMOKES ( NOT HELPING ) AND CLEARS HIS THROAT SEVERAL TIMES AN HOUR. HE ALSO SWALLOWS EVERYTHING EXTREMELY LOUD AND YOU CAN SEE HOW I AM AT A POINT OF GIVING UP..ALTHOUGH I DON’T WANT TO. IT’S CLEARLY AN OBSESSION I CAN’T SHAKE, IM HYPERVIGILANT WAITING FOR HIM TO MAKE A SOUND TO UPSET ME MOST OF THE TIME, I CAN RARELY ENJOY OUR TIME TOGETHER IN A NORMAL WAY. WOW. I GUESS I’VE REALLY REACHED A POINT WHERE I HAVE TO CURE MYSELY BECAUSE I REFUSE TO LIVE LIKE THIS ANY LONGER. IT’S VERY FRUSTRATING IN THE MISO COMMUNITY TO SEE HOW EVERYONE RELIES ON EAR PLUGS AND OTHER FORMS OF RUNNING AWAY FROM THE ISSUE. I THINK THAT IS BY FAR THE MOST COUNTER PRODUCTIVE OPTION AND ALL OF THE OTHER NOISE BLOCKERS SEEM BE A HINDERANCE TO HEALING AS WELL. I ADMIT I DO STUFF TISSUE IN MY EAR AT NIGHT AND SOMETIMES LEAVE IT IN FOR A FEW HOURS IN THE A.M BUT I RALIZE THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND WILL ONLY TELL ME BRAIN TO BE ON GUARD MORE OFTEN. I GUESS I AM CURIOUS ABOUT ALL OF THE RESEARCH YOU HAVE DONE AND WHAT YOU HAVE COME UP WITH THAT COULD BE HELPFUL TO ME. I AM DESPERATE AND VERY DEPRESSED AND LIKE I SAID, IF THE SO CALLED PYSCH WORLD HAS NO IDEA ABOUT THIS , THEN I HAVE TO COME UP WITH A CURE MYSELF. SO FAR I THINK MEDITATING HAS THE HIGHEST POSSIBILITY OF SUCCESS, BUT HAVEN’T MASTERED IT YET. PLEASE W/B

#5270 Reply
        Brook

thanks so much for posting Curtis! same for you elise! I am so glad to know I have fellow sufferers of this torturing condition that I can commiserate with and try to find answers with!

#8669 Reply
          Tia

This made me cry. Its exactly my theory. I was raised to be polite. Bad disgusting manners trigger me.

#8695 Reply
            Gen

I’m so glad you posted this theory. I’ve come to the same conclusions: my biggest sound triggers are things I associate with someone being inconsiderate of how their actions affect others. That’s why I’m not bothered by the click of my humidifier, but I nearly fly off the handle when someone clicks a pen. I don’t mind the sound of my cat eating, but my coworkers’ crunching sounds drive me nuts. I’m glad I’m not the only one with this theory!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            Reply To: Reply #8695 in A theory about my misophonia
            Your information: