10 year old daughter recently affected by misophonia

Home Page Forums Misophonia Forum 10 year old daughter recently affected by misophonia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kelly

My daughter has, in the last month become very disturbed by noises. Especially noises made with the mouth. She is 10. I hate that she is dealing with this and I really don’t like how she’s dealing with others making the noises. She gets agitated and angry.
      I want to know if I can somehow help her so this doesn’t get worse and become a lifelong struggle for her.
      Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

#1009126 Reply
      Rose

Get her to see a psychologist, one who knows what misophonia is if possible. But make sure she feels like it is a real option. When I was younger, my mom brought up going to see someone, but it was in response to an angry outburst I had. Almost sarcastic. It was like she was saying it to get me to realize that what I was doing was unacceptable, not that she really believed I was going through something that was deserving of help and support.
        Now, I really think that if I saw a psychologist around the time it was starting, I could have combatted it. Kids brains’ are so plastic at a young age and I think the faulty connection can be rewired. I’m 21 now and the reactions are so fixed I’m scared they will never go away.
        Try to make her feel less alone and don’t shy away from conversations about it. Don’t be embarrassed of her. Remember she physically can’t help it and she wishes with everything she has that she didn’t have those reactions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      Reply To: Reply #1009126 in 10 year old daughter recently affected by misophonia
      Your information: